Since the second mid crit, my project has evolved a lot. I have pushed all of the fingers together and created a much more dynamic landscape. There is no longer a disconnect between pieces and overall the project now flows much better.
I used my site model to determine where the fanning of the fingers would happen. Taking the white string, I found the convergence point of the existing forms, and placed a nail at that point. From there I used a series of brown strings to represent where the fingers would be placed and at what angle. Using the strings as guidelines, I started to carve away at the site.
The next step was to think of a way to direct the public in the areas I want them to move. To do this I am using a series of trees placed according to my study of an original draw-del.
In the draw-del you can see how the nails form rows in some places but implied walls in others. By opening these rows up, you invite the user to explore that row. By creating an implied wall, you tell the user to go somewhere else. So I took the nails and placed them precisely where I would like people to walk around, and pull them in different directions.